Part of the yogic practice I am doing is called Tratac – it is part of the krya yoga where you concentrate on the candle without blinking until tears are coming into your eyes – but you cary on and on – and then you close your eyes and concentrate on the inner vision of the candle.
It is both a cleansing and a concentration exercise, however playing with it I realised I can just use the candle flame as my meditation object.
- Sit in a comfortable position.
- Put a candle in front of you – the candle flame should be between 30-50 cm from you and at eye hight.
( Make sure you are in a fire safe environment and that you have backup )
- Observe the flame – and relax into it.
- If thoughts are coming – observe them and then throw them into the flame, or just release them.
- If feeling/emotions are coming observe and then into the fire, or just release them.
- There is only the flame
- The flame is your world
- use your eyes to see it
- use your heart to feel it
- use your whole body to observe the flame
- When your eyes get tired close them and imagine the flame on your inner screen.
- And again observe it.
- After the time of meditation has passed – move your body a bit
- Smile to yourself, give thanks to yourself and the to the flame from mother earth.
- Relax, turn the candle off.
- Write down your experience.